Friday, January 22, 2016

Surviving for 2 weeks

They say parenthood doesn’t come with a manual but I wish it did. You can read all the books, ask all your friends and family about everything under the sun. You can feel so prepared and ready to tackle it with thoughts of “I’ve survived on 2hours of sleep before, it shouldn’t be that hard” only to get slapped in the face with a huge serving of reality and you soon realize you have no idea what you’re doing or how you’re going to survive.



I am a creature of routine, organization, schedules, planning out the day, knowing what’s coming down the line and being all ready for it when it does. I find joy in being prepared and organized. But nothing can prepare you for motherhood. When they hand you that baby your world changes. Routine goes out the window. Organization goes out the door. Schedules and planning take to the streets and you are left high and dry with a newborn who eats, sleeps, poops all willy nilly and could care less what you’re doing or what you thought you would accomplish.

My first two days with Audra were spent in the hospital. A place where if the nurse heard her fussing for too long would come in and help or give advice. It was great but can easily set you up for failure when you get home because she will just cry and cry and all you can do is try and figure out what she wants and yes..sometimes you just cry along with her. The next 5 days of life with a newborn are at this point still fresh enough to remember but soon will become a blur. I was terrified driving home from the hospital knowing that in the morning my husband would go off to work and I was left at home with this child who relied on me for everything. I thought I knew what to expect. Turns out I knew much less than I thought.

How many diapers are you seriously going to go thru? Our trick is to feed her (we are exclusively breastfeeding) on one side and then just when she falls asleep we change her diaper to wake her up enough to nurse on the other side. Then oh look a nice new fresh diaper, I think I’ll go poop now. You’re welcome mom.

Spit-up is expected. The 2am projectile spit-ups are my “favorite”. That whole 3 minutes we spent feeding you is now all over my lap and your sleeper. Well sorry to break it to you but we’re just wiping that mess up and we’ll change our clothes in the morning.

Spit-up is also celebrated. If you’ve been fussy for 2 hours straight and nothing is really working just puke. Puke it all up and you’ll be fine. (This happened the other night and I was never so happy to have her spit-up. Luckily I had thought to put a towel under her head so it did not ruin the bed spread.)

A sleeping baby wipes away all anxiety it took to get there. I may have just spent 2 hours playing feed, burp, change, rock, feed, change, feed, burp roulette and I’m exhausted and you’re wide awake. But when you’re eyes finally close and you’re breathing goes from normal to deep sleep…my mind just feels so free.

Little victories are huge. Momma got a nap in today – little victory. Audra did not scream when I changed her diaper or clothes – little victory. Momma was able to shower (and shave her legs!) while daddy held and talked to you – little victory. Audra slept for 3 hours straight at night – little victory.



Now as I write this we have hit the 2 week mark. The famous “it’ll get better and easier” 2 weeks. I had this little milestone in my sites since we came home. And now that we are here I have to say at times it’s a bit easier but that is only because I have a slightly better idea of what I’m doing. It still gives me anxiety when she cries and I have no idea why. I still have a fear that as soon as I lay her down she will wake up or that any little sound will wake her. But we take it day by day. I have been so incredibly blessed by family and friends who have made meals for us or who have taken Audra so I could get a nap or just cry myself and collect my thoughts. I have learned something about myself in these last 2 weeks – ask for help and take it when it’s offered. Like I said in the beginning I am the kind that likes to be prepared so I was planning to just go thru all of this on my own so to speak because “I am woman, hear my roar” and I was made for this and I can do it and I don’t need that much help; but help was offered and I took it every time I felt the need to and I don’t regret it.

So 2 weeks down and mornings are a bit brighter around here. It’s still frigid outside which makes it hard to go anywhere. I did get out yesterday morning just to drive around and it was wonderful. The sanity was restored for sure. These have been the hardest most sleep-deprived 14 days of my entire life. The baby blues hit me so hard, when your “milk comes in” it’s no joke how bad it hurts, more than 3 hours of sleep in a row is a luxury but this is life with a newborn and before I know it we’ll be celebrating her first birthday and I’ll probably just cry that it went so fast. 


No comments:

Post a Comment