Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Our Daily Life

Firstly I must thank each one of you who gave me feedback on my last post "Mom Guilt". I wish I had time to sit down and really type out my thoughts in full but with a baby on my hip it's not the easiest thing to do. Plus whenever she goes down for a nap I have a to-do list of things that need to be done. This makes me think it's time to do a post on our daily routine. I use the term routine very loosely. That is one thing I'm learning - our routine changes daily but in the big picture it is relatively the same each day. This is making life with a baby that much easier. Audra usually eats every 3 hours and naps every 1-2 hours.

We get up for the day around 6:30 - 7am when daddy leaves for work. Depending on when she ate last I feed her or not. If she doesn't eat then we take her out of her Swaddle Me blanket and change her diaper. I love love love watching her stretch when she wakes up. It's my favorite thing and I don't think it will ever get old. I sit her in her bouncer by our lit up ficus tree. She has loved looking at the twinkle lights since she was born. They mesmerize her. And she loves her bouncer too. This is her most talkative part of the day. She's suddenly turned into a morning person. So we sit there and chat while I eat breakfast and have my coffee for about 15-20 minutes. After this long she's getting sleepy again so I see if she is hungry. Usually she isn't so I swaddle her up in a light blanket (different then her Swaddle Me which is reserved for bedtime only) and pacify her and rock and sing her to sleep. Then she sleeps in her swing for exactly a half hour. Only twice has she slept longer than a half hour for her morning nap. I've read that this means she has trouble switching sleep cycles. I've tried everything to soothe her back to sleep but it never works.

During this half hour is when I either get myself ready for the day or workout. I also start some laundry and figure out what will be for dinner. If it's an easy dinner I don't start prep until later. If it's a crock pot type meal I start it now.

She wakes up maybe by 9:30 or 10 and I definitely feed her then. Then we change out of her pajamas, change her diaper again and play. In her bouncer, on her playmat, on the bed etc. We practice tummy time and standing and sitting and grabbing toys. We also try out a little peek-a-boo which she hasn't quite grasped yet. I also get a snack around this time too. Always hungry!

Around 11-11:30 she is getting swaddled and pacified again for her noon time nap. I always swaddle her when she sleeps if I'm not holding her the entire time. She has yet to gain control of her arms so they always wake her up if they are not restrained. She typically sleeps for 2 hours for this nap. I take this time and eat lunch, switch/fold laundry. Prep dinner. Sometimes I sit and watch a tv show and just have me time for a little bit. I always think I'm going to get so much done during these 2 hours but it flies by and before I know it she's up and hungry and I think "man I still have so much I need to do!". If I have errands I usually do them around this time too. Much easier on me if she sleeps during my running around.

Between 1 and 2 she is up so we feed her again and play some more. More tummy time and standing practice. If I haven't prepped dinner by now I do so because daddy will be home soon. Audra is usually OK for a short time to be on her own talking to her toys and squirming all over the place. If she wants to be held I put her in the carrier so I can do dinner or fold laundry.

By 4 or 4:30 She is asleep again for her afternoon nap. She sleeps for another half an hour or so. I use this time to get dinner done as much as I can. Audra is usually awake by the time we eat so I put her in her bouncer so I can eat a little bit. She doesn't last long though. She usually wants to eat herself or just be held for a while. Daddy and I sometimes take turns with her around this time. If Daddy doesn't go out to the garage to work on the truck he will wash dishes while I feed Audra. Or if Daddy does go out to the garage I take care of Audra and the dishes will just wait until she falls asleep. This nap can really range in when it happens during the day. If it happens later then we bathe her around 6 or 7. Sometimes she fits in another cat nap before bath time and bed time. IF the dishes are done and Audra goes down for a nap and I haven't showered by now this is my time to do my thang.

8-8:30pm We hope that she is awake around this time so that she can have a good time being awake before going to sleep for the night. If we haven't had bath time yet we do it now. She loves bath time. We still bathe her in the sink. I tried using her large bath basin in the tub last week but she was squirming so much that I ended up holding her up with one hand and washing with the other. We will try again in a month or so when she outgrows her Puj tub.

By 9 or 9:30 we are winding down for the night. She is usually asleep by 9:30. We all go to bed at this time. I follow suit and go to the sleep. Daddy usually stays up to read until around 10. Audra usually wakes up at least twice during the night to eat. And the by 6 or 6:30 we start all over again!

I try and find things to do during the week to break up the monotony. So sometimes we have lots to do sometimes we don't. If it's nice out we go for a walk. If not we try and find a friend or family member to visit. Her cousins love to entertain her! When she is 6 months old we can go to story time at the library! Sometimes when she gets up at 6:30am it feels like the day is going to just drag by but before we know it Daddy is home from work and we are getting ready for bed. It's true what they say "the days are long but the years fly by".

Hope this gave you a good glimpse of our day. We always welcome visitors or welcome the invitation to go visit someone. I am continuing to get a good idea of her schedule and she seems to be going a little longer between feedings which is so nice. Summer will be here before we know it and we are so excited to be able to go on more walks or just sit in the grass and play.

Audra is also getting a new cousin this September and we are so anxious to meet this precious baby. I know that Audra will just look so grown up by then even though she'll only be 9 months. Our annual Christmas Eve couch picture will have 2 new babies in it this year, so cool!

Have a great week friends and thanks for reading this. You make me smile!

P.s. Audra's first Easter was great. She saw her cousin Liam again and hopefully got some tips on how to roll over and grab things!



No comments:

Post a Comment