Saturday, January 24, 2015

The flu bug

Let me start by saying I've never gotten the flu. I know crazy right? I've had my share of strep throat, sinus infections, colds etc but never the flu. I'm still not sure I even have the flu but when I went to the Dr. the other night that is what she said I have, or might have. The flu. The gosh darn, good-for-nothing flu. And when does it decide to hit me? The night before my husband comes home...so a week ago. I've been a coughing, hacking, miserable sick person for a week. Boy when it hits it hits hard and stays a while. Like a relative you never see but when you do see them they decide to take up residence in your guest room (my lungs) for way longer than you were expecting them to stay. I've got things to do Uncle Chester...can you please leave? Anyone else picturing those Mucinex commercials with those green globby characters? I get that commercial now, I didn't before but now I do.

So the past week as miserable as I have been I've also been as productive as possible. I've gone to work (too soon which is why I'm still sick), I've kept up with all my "womanly duties" as my husband calls them, I've opened my Etsy store, had one Etsy order AND was recognized on the blog www.madebytheshop.wordpress.com for my Etsy shop. I guess I can say it's been a pretty good week despite the fact that I really would like a whole 8 hours of solid sleep without waking up to cough up a lung. That would just be the nicest thing in the world right now. Solid sleep. Getting through washing dishes without feeling tired and nauseous. Or reminding myself it's time to dose up on Dayquil so I can get better.


I will say that being sick means you get to feel less guilty about sitting around watching TV. That is probably the best part about being sick - zoning out in front of endless episodes of Friends and Gilmore Girls but there also comes a point when you cannot watch another episode and you have to get up and do something...ANYTHING.

I should be better by Monday. That is what the Dr. said. "You're on day 5...maybe so you probably have 2-3 days left. Just lay low and get plenty of rest and fluids" Well Doc if I'm not better by Monday I'm coming to see you again and getting some real drugs and maybe that x-ray you talked about to rule out Pneumonia. Speaking of Pneumonia that is one word I never could spell when I was younger but all of a sudden I can spell it without hesitation. Weird?

So here I sit, another Saturday going by of doing nothing. Well OK not nothing. I made homemade meatballs and did a load of laundry. But not before I watched an episode of Parenthood - best show ever in my opinion -  it gives me anxiety and tears every time. Cheers to the weekend and I toast you with my shot glass of Dayquil. Here's to getting better. By Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment